Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tabletop Simulator as a boardgame prototyping tool

Tabletop Simulator as a boardgame prototyping tool

Just like to add my 2c. My friends and I mainly backed this with a view to prototyping games. For me, the idea of wrapping up the resources in a pak file of some sort seems much easier to deal with than having to track potentially dozens of URLs, and changing them every time a card changes. For custom games it would seem sensible that new players would have to download the pak from a site just as they would any game mod, and drop it in the TS path.

Knil said

Initially I'm focusing on importing pictures from URLs because it eliminates the need for distribute files to people joining your game. Having the host upload the custom textures for each person that joined would make it lag terribly for the people in game.

Hopefully at some point you'll support embeded images and other resources too, especially as it will allow for offline play. I understand there are bandwidth costs, but perhaps the user can be prompted to receive such additional resources and have a progress bar while they are being uploaded/downloaded so that everyone knows to be patient while a new user is getting the data, or perhaps a user could be pointed to a link to download the files prior to joining a game? (again allowing for offline play later)

Chris_Walker said

Knil said

Initially I'm focusing on importing pictures from URLs because it eliminates the need for distribute files to people joining your game. Having the host upload the custom textures for each person that joined would make it lag terribly for the people in game.

Hopefully at some point you'll support embeded images and other resources too, especially as it will allow for offline play. I understand there are bandwidth costs, but perhaps the user can be prompted to receive such additional resources and have a progress bar while they are being uploaded/downloaded so that everyone knows to be patient while a new user is getting the data, or perhaps a user could be pointed to a link to download the files prior to joining a game? (again allowing for offline play later)

In the end I am always in support of peer to peer services and users hosting their own servers and resources, it is simply more reliable due to the fact that the users are going to have more interest in keeping it stable then the company because it matters to them more, we see people like nintendo in recent news who are cutting off all their wifi services for the older games and many before them that have done the same when it has become outdated.

It may be a hassle for us to download resources for custom games for every server but in the end it is more likely that those are going to be around longer.

jay_rab said

Chris_Walker said

Knil said

In the end I am always in support of peer to peer services and users hosting their own servers and resources, it is simply more reliable due to the fact that the users are going to have more interest in keeping it stable then the company because it matters to them more, we see people like nintendo in recent news who are cutting off all their wifi services for the older games and many before them that have done the same when it has become outdated.

It may be a hassle for us to download resources for custom games for every server but in the end it is more likely that those are going to be around longer. I think it would be better to try and do it as a download rather than streaming as a full option. Maybe having backgrounds be from streaming would be reasonable but I would much rather download assets than have to stream them all the time.

I know I myself supported the project because I want to play tabletop games online which almost nothing else does in a reasonable manner. There is some notable exceptions but generally it's just all these rubbish things like pogo where they throw ad's in and the rules are all set and unchangeable.

Another thing that we havent taken into account is if something becomes popular among the players there is a chance that those resources if the modder allows could end up in the main games assets, the steam workshop would be very helpful in that regard for giving us some type of indication as to what is being added to ones files.

But knowing that we will be using the workshop at one point in the future which provides mods for the users side of the game, I have a hard time believing that is not how the main game is going to be set up, otherwise it will likely be fighting against that dynamic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12