Thread: [v6.0] Advanced Color Selection options

Lightbulb [v6.0] Advanced Color Selection options

Give the Host and players more advanced Color Selection options. Examples:

For the Host:
    • When the Host starts their server, let them choose their color, so they don't always default to White, and they don't have to manually change their color after they've been made to be White. They can just be whatever color they want from the start.
    • An option to only show as many colors as the server's Max number of players. So if the server is set to 6 players, then it will only show 6 colors for the players to pick from, no matter how big the table is.
    • An option to pick/change the colors available. So for example, if the game is Clue, the colors for pawns are White, Green, Blue, Red, Yellow, and Purple. With this option the Host could make it so the colors available in the room are the same colors as the pawns available. This way everyone's player color matches their pawn.
    • An option to change the color spots to different colors using the same wheel from the Color Tint option that you use for tinting objects. So say if I wanted the Green spot to be a different shade, or a different color altogether, I could change it using the color wheel. (This could also be available to the Player if the Host allows it in the server options.)

For the Player:
    Make the Colors independant from the seats at the table.
    • When a player enters a server:
      1. Show the player the available colors based on what the host has set, and ask them to pick the color they want,
      2. Show the available seats at the table, and have them choose one.
    • When a player has the ability to change their own color:
      1. Show the player the available colors based on what the host has set, and ask them to pick the color they want,
      2. then their color changes to their new choice, and they stay in the same spot.
    • If the colors become independant from the seat choices, then the Players could also have the option to move to a different seat at the table if they so chose. This can also be an option for the Host, to move a player to a new/different seat. And when the player moves to a different seat, they will stay the same color.
    Last edited by TheRaven81; 03-22-2015 at 03:40 AM.

+1 am sure this has been brought up before though.

Would really make things easy for a lot of games being able to change what colour's are where so its all matching with game pieces.

Yes... ALL of my players have been asking for this. I always am forced to be white since I host, most games do not even have a white player and some of my more OCD players get confused LOL.

Another issue is we frequently save games and come back to them. Since the white player is always the host's default... if someone else was playing white in a saved game, I would see everything hidden in the current white players hidden area. Again... obvious answer is "Try to avoid looking" but it is hard to miss that "YOU ARE A CYLON" card in Battlestar Galactica.
    Last edited by BrashFink; 03-23-2015 at 05:09 PM.

*bump*

I agree with the first one. I don't always want to be white when I start up a server, so I think the colour selection should come up for the owner aswell as for the players. Equal rights everyone!

I don't agree with the rest though.

If a server is only set for six players, then the game shouldn't remove spots on the table that a player could potentially sit at. What is the reasoning behind this?
    I think the colour changing is a bit complicated and wouldn't make much sense to have. There are other ways of dealing with player pieces, like naming the piece to the name of the player or dyeing the piece the appropriate colour.

If a server is only set for six players, then the game shouldn't remove spots on the table that a player could potentially sit at. What is the reasoning behind this?
    If you REALLY look at my original post, there's nowhere in there that says that spots should be removed from the table.

The only reason there would be less spots at the table, would be if you chose a table that only had that many seats at it - the Square table only has 4 seats to it, the Hexagon table has 6, the Octagon, Round, Poker, Rectangle, Custom Large, and Round Glass tables have 8. So if you're in a server that the host has set for 6 players only, and it's at a table with 8 seats, then what happens is this:
    When you go in, you only get 6 colors plus grey for spectator (and black for Game Master if you are the host) since there's only 6 slots in the server. THEN, (if you don't pick spectator, since they don't sit at a seat) after you pick your color, if the table is suited for 8, there would still be 8 spots to sit at, and you can pick any of those 8 spots. The point of this is that the seats are not attached to a specific color anymore, so you can pick a color, and then sit anywhere at the table. Not "pick a color and if you pick this color you HAVE to sit here." How dumb is that? You do that to your family at home when you play games? I wouldn't, and don't. AND, if you move seats, then you can take your color with you, and not have to change colors just because you moved your seat. OR if you want to change colors(if you still can), then you can change your color, and still be able to stay in the same spot. In a nutshell, what this is doing is basically making the seats at the table independent from the colors.
    Last edited by TheRaven81; 05-03-2015 at 07:54 PM.

Seems this would be pretty basic to fix. Not sure why we have not seen anything about it.

My players hate it when there is a game were a certain color is tied to a certain location on the board, so we end up with a Red hand moving Green pieces on the board. Sometimes gets kind of annoying.

Even just being able to MOVE where the existing colors are would be an improvement.

yah idk, not seen or heard anything of this topic in several months. not even a dev comment...

+1
    I also recommend to have an ability to get colored shadows of objects. Sometimes it's really difficult to place a pawn in the right spot when you have a dark grey shadow at the bottom. Would be a lot easier if this would be in the
    color of the player.

Just giving my strong support to the idea of letting players choose an arbitrary color regardless of seating. It's important for games where colors are tied to specific factions etc. If a player plays the green-flagged faction but needs to have pink text, it would be confusing.

I already suggested this, but +1 to be able to relocate the player spheres around the table border so you can "sit" wherever you like (with your team members or something) Also...could we add new colors? that would be FANTASTIC.

How has this not been done yet?! - such a basic but helpful feature.

[Suggestion] Changing Player Colors

Simply put, it would be nice if a host is able to choose what colors are in the game.

Example: Maybe instead of Yellow there is an Orange player...or instead of Pink there is Purple.

Obviously if a color is taken then you can't make another seat the same color, but if a color isn't being used, why not play as your favorite color on a smaller table?

yah +1 here, I had a thread a LONG time ago outlining some color based things that I thought should be implemented, but so far neither my, or anyone else's, voice has been heard and replied to on the matter(at least as far as I know...)

http://www.berserk-games.com/forums/...ection-options

It's a good idea, I think. Because for example, if you play on the Square table(the first one in the list of tables, not the custom one), it's a 4-player table. And the player colors available are White, Orange, Purple, and Green. Well what if I want to be Red? Or the game we are playing doesn't have pieces that correspond to those colors?

*bump* (yet again...)
    I hate doing this but I think it's an important feature set, and it'd be great if we could at least hear a developer's comment on this idea - i.e. if it can or can't be done, if it can't why not, or at least if you've seen it and it's on the to-do list... something. Yes, I know this thread is stickied here: http://www.berserk-games.com/forums/...d-all-feedback but I started this thread near the end of March, and it's now near the end of October. Almost 8 months, and the game has probably gone up maybe 3 whole versions since then. (I think the game was at version 3.x back then, and we're at 5.8 now, heading close to version 6 soon)
    Last edited by TheRaven81; 10-21-2015 at 10:24 AM.

We cannot respond to all suggestions posted here which is why that thread is listed.

And while it may seem "basic" and "easy" to do, it's actually not. It's a wee bit tricky which is why it's taken so long. But once we can get working properly it will enable all kinds of other nifty things in the future.

And actually in the latest The Scoop, I have posted about customized seats and colors: http://berserk-games.com/101615-the-scoop-6

If there is something we absolutely cannot do, we will say so and close the thread.

Please remember that we get updates out fairly quickly, since release it's been pretty much every 2 weeks and we are a very small team. There's always something out there that people will want and we can't necessarily do everything, but this particular thing we have mentioned that is in the plans. All I ask as you be patient. Bumping the thread won't make it go any faster either, but it will happen. Thanks!

You know... I must have read that at least 10 times trying to catch up on things because I hadn't played in a while. I seriously don't know how I missed that. But I see it now, and it makes me hopeful for the future and what it brings for this already great application. I'm sorry if I was a little harsh in my previous post since I now see I was unnecessarily upset.

Hurray for colors, though. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaven81 View Post
    You know... I must have read that at least 10 times trying to catch up on things because I hadn't played in a while. I seriously don't know how I missed that. But I see it now, and it makes me hopeful for the future and what it brings for this already great application. I'm sorry if I was a little harsh in my previous post since I now see I was unnecessarily upset.
    No worries!

Obviously not everything in the original post can be implemented, but the customized seats and colors have been implemented as of Update v6.0. You can read about the new-ish Hand Zones and how it all works here.

If there are other things you'd like to see implemented, please start a new thread as this one will be marked as complete. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimiko View Post
    Obviously not everything in the original post can be implemented...
    Can you please elaborate? What in the original post cannot be done, and why? Because it's not exactly THAT obvious, especially from our end of things.

And I've looked into the Hand Zones. It's a nifty feature, and I've even used it in a few of my mods. However despite that you're able to move the hand zones around, and change their colors, it still technically ties a color to a seat at the table, because the main hand zone for a person is also their seat at the table, so when you move the zone you also move the seat.
    Last edited by TheRaven81; 03-29-2016 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaven81 View Post
    Can you please elaborate? What in the original post cannot be done, and why? Because it's not exactly THAT obvious, especially from our end of things.

And I've looked into the Hand Zones. It's a nifty feature, and I've even used it in a few of my mods. However despite that you're able to move the hand zones around, and change their colors, it still technically ties a color to a seat at the table, because the main hand zone for a person is also their seat at the table, so when you move the zone you also move the seat.
    That is done purposely so that designers know where to place the corresponding pieces for a player, it might change in the future, but there are no plans now.