Thread: Tournament Play Support?

Tournament Play Support?

Hey everyone. We've got a game we're coming close to completing that is a themed version of a classic game with 120 million players worldwide (in other words it already has a large potential audience). We'd like to run a tournament based on our version on TTS, but ran into a two potential issues:

1. Is there a way, most likely via LUA scripting, to record info to a central host about the games played so that we can verify who won a game, how long it took, what the scores were, etc?

2. Is there any way Berserk would be able to allow for access for people with a trial version or a group rate on sign-ups, etc? It won't be much of a tournament if barrier one is, "You need to spend $20 to buy TTS to play." While that isn't much, it's still going to keep many people away so I'm trying to investigate any option we might have to get it workable. The take part players would want to practice which means getting friends involved which also means a lot more eyes on a product many likely didn't even know existed.

Thoughts?

1. Is there a way, most likely via LUA scripting, to record info to a central host about the games played so that we can verify who won a game, how long it took, what the scores were, etc?
    Yes. I did a somewhat similar task for reading (not writing) to my web server. Use the WebRequest object to get, post or put the desired data to your backend server when the game completes.

Documentation Reference: https://api.tabletopsimulator.com/webrequest/

Obviously you will need to setup a server for accepting these WebRequest requests and doing something with them (e.g. pushing them into a database, dumping them to a file, etc).

However, I think your bigger problem will be that if you distribute the workshop (game) so that anyone can host, it will be fairly easy for someone to reverse engineer the WebRequest and post spoofed game results to the server (i.e. post a bunch of wins when no game was actually played) because they will have access to the script that makes the request. The only obvious way to prevent this, that I can think of, is to distribute the workshop (game) to only trusted individuals which would then host games for others (i.e. for other player which may or may not be trustworthy). However, even assuming 8 players per game that would require a lot of vetted hosting individuals to get a high volume of people involved.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAshes View Post
    However, I think your bigger problem will be that if you distribute the workshop (game) so that anyone can host, it will be fairly easy for someone to reverse engineer the WebRequest and post spoofed game results to the server (i.e. post a bunch of wins when no game was actually played) because they will have access to the script that makes the request. The only obvious way to prevent this, that I can think of, is to distribute the workshop (game) to only trusted individuals which would then host games for others (i.e. for other player which may or may not be trustworthy). However, even assuming 8 players per game that would require a lot of vetted hosting individuals to get a high volume of people involved.
    Thanks!

Good news on that front. The tournament will be setup with four players at a set time and it's a one-off per round so spoofing that way won't work. We just want to be able to thwart four players that know each other saying, "Bob won with this score". We can look at the output and see that Sue won with a different score.