Thread: Researching RPG table needs

Researching RPG table needs

Hello everyone,,
    After few years of consideration I have finally decided to give it a try and I'm quite impressed with how usable TS is. Good job! I'm considering using it for my 4ed D&D group which ended up in different cities. I'm still very new to the tool, so please forgive me if I'm asking some obvious questions. On the other hand, if things are more complex than I imagine, I'll be happy for pointer to specific part of documentation where I can research given topic in more detail. I'm a programmer, so I'm not scared of coding missing bits myself, I just need to know where to start.

So here comes big list of questions:

1) Is it possible to have all dice roll results being reported in chat automatically? I could imagine adding some script on dice object themselves, but how would I hook up into 'all dice landed and result is computed' event?mobdro lucky patcher kodi
    2) Any module which would allow parsing and executing expressions like (2d10+1d4+5) with according dice rolls? I consider creating attack cards for player powers with clickable 'attack rolls' and 'damage rolls' bits which would autoroll dice, instead of having to look and pick them manually (or right-click menu actions for 'attack' and 'damage' if custom actions are possible?)
    3) How do you manage things like per-player character sheets? Import pdfs as images and put few counters next to it? Write it up in notes object? Use tablet item and load a prepared interactive webpage?
    4) Any support for character movement counting? So if I pick up miniature from specific part of grid, it will show 'path' to place I'm hovering over?
    5) How to manage targeting templates? For many spells etc we need to target 3x3 or 5x5 square for example. I was considering doing 'cardboard' cutouts with predefined shapes, but they will end up on top of miniatures, while they should be on top of terrain, but below miniatures. Is there some kind of doing non-collidable cutout or something like that? Ideal case would be even just selection box, just aligned to grid which would select just minatures (bit similar to
    6) How do you manage hp and states for enemy miniatures? Just put them in description, or is there some way of attaching status markers?
    7) Is there a way of displaying important information for currently selected miniature which would change when selecting other miniature? (for example monster stats)
    8) Is it possible to restrict movement of specific elements to specific players? I know I can lock them completely, but what about having kind of 'modify permissions' per item?
    9) Is there possibility to move objects in the air with having them falling down? I know I can first move item on the ground, then use position gizmo to move it up. But, if I touch it later to move it a bit, it floats to the ground (even after disabling gravity in physics settings for that object)
    10) Is there a way to make tablet item display pages in vertical, rather than horizontal way?
    11) Does TS support translucent items?

That's it from the top of my head. I'll probably have few more detailed questions in custom content forum, but I'll try to keep it one question per topic over there - but need to get unity installed first.
    Last edited by Jhonmikcy; 08-29-2019 at 02:42 PM.

You might want to check out my RPG Framework at:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1838539309

It has the following features:

1. Player specific, multi page, roll macros allow users to roll their character's most common rolls with the click of a button. The macro rolls actually do toss the player dice and then record the result in the Chat.
    2. Roll macros support rolling multiple dice at once (e.g. attack and damage, etc).
    3. Roll macros allow triggering of Loop or Effect animations.
    4. Roll macros trigger text to speech with options to override the default messages with custom messages. Players can disable this by refusing the tablet navigation prompt.
    5. Player trays for character sheet, hitpoint tokens (with two bins for healthy and damaged tokens) and player dice.
    6. Player side tables for spell cards.

To answer your questions:

1. You can either define the GUIDs for all your dice in the beginning of the script and then the script can periodically check the dice status to see if the dice were not at rest and now they are. However, I prefer to mark my dice (typically with Dice in the description) and then I can easily iterate through all the objects checking for which ones have the keyword in the description. This way if more dice are added or some dice are removed, there is no need to update the script.

2. In my RPG Framework I just allowed a +/- modifier to be specified. It is not doing expression parsing. I am not sure if Lua scripting allow such a thing. However, even if one could parse such expressions then this would not allow you to roll the corresponding dice. This would mean you would be generating the results using random numbers as opposed to actually rolling dice (like my RPG Framework does). However, if you still want to be able to evaluate such expressions and Lua does not support it, you may be able to use the WebRequest function to a web server and have it do it for you. This, of course, means you would need such a web server but Windows come with IIS pre-installed so it isn't too hard.

3. For character sheets, I currently use a tile but with the new PDF option, that is how I would do it. Yes, for stats that change, I just use tokens.

4. Movement tracking can be accomplished. When an object is picked up, the event can be captured using a global event. The position of the object can then be obtained to get the starting point. As the object is moved, the new position can be compared to the stored starting position in order to determine the distance. Showing the travel path would be harder but it could be done. TTS does support the ability to draw and add text so as the character is moved, the script could add lines to show how the character moved. The difficult here would be determining the difference between the player changing his/her mind and moving part of the way back or the character actually backtracking. Basically, tracking movement is doable but not easy out-of-the-box.

5. There are a few options for this. I make tokens for such cases which have a larger area but a small collider. This means most of the token can go through other objects. In such cases the token can show a large area of effect but only the center "collides" with other objects. So when casting, the target object needs to be picked up and the token slipped underneath but other objects in the field of effect don't need to be picked up. Ideally a token with no collider would allow it to be placed over anything without collision but in that case the token would not collide with the table either (i.e. fall through the table). There is also an option for decals. decals are images that can be pasted on object or terrain. I like them for showing static areas of effect but they don't work all that great with characters. When I tried putting a decal (mage armor token) on a character, it turned the token vertical when being placed anywhere on the body and it turned the token horizontal when placed above the head of the character. Neither effect look good to me....but it is also an option.

7. Yes. You can add content using the older createButton and other elements or use (recommended) the new XML UI. The XML UI allow you to attack elements (buttons, text, etc) to the Global screen or to objects. If you attach them to the global screen then they will not move (in relation to the viewport) when the camera is moved. If you attach them to objects then they stay with the object and move with the object. So when you pick up an object (i.e. select it) you could generate a bunch of XML UI text boxes with the relevant information either attached to Global or attached to the character. When the object is dropped, the XML UI can be destroyed. I would suggest attaching them to Global because then you don't need to worry about the orientation of the character. If you attach them to the character then depending on which way the character is facing with respect to the player, the content could be incorrectly oriented.

8. The Lock and Interactable properties are the same for all players so I am not aware of any way to prevent interaction of objects short of having them in a hidden zone that is only visible to that player. Please note that if an object is set so that it is not visible to a player, as per the documentation, others can still interact with it. They just can't see it but the mouse will still change to interaction when they mouse over a hidden object.

9. Lock allows object to say in mid air without falling regardless of gravity. However, once Locked a object cannot be moved using mouse. They can only be moved using scripting (until the object is unlocked).

10. Not sure what you are referring to...

11. Yes. Even the Color Tint has an opacity value. PNG images also use the transparency channel as far as I know.