Thread: Object clipping

Object clipping

Any two objects I have with a thickness of 1/32" will (most of the time) simply clip through when I try to stack them on top of each other either by dropping the piece or using the 'T' key at the default lift height. If you change the lift height to one tick above the minimum lift height, it will (most of the time) stack as normal. Including or not including a collider doesn't seem to make a difference. Raising the mass of the bottom object only sometimes fixes the issue -- although this could just be random odds. Turning semi-lock on or off doesn't seem to have any effect.

I believe this is the cause of a bug I found. Picking up multiple cards with T/Right-click changes their order: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuchBxRyrZg

Seems like an issue with A Posteriori collision detection. I think game engines usually have a separate method of collision detection for small, fast-moving objects like projectiles to prevent this kind of clipping from occurring, but I've not studied game engines particularly much.

Excellent video to show the issue from a card perspective. There very well could be a correlation between the bug you are showing with the cards and the issue with thin objects. The clipping issue is the number one issue brought up when I play TTS with other people and I hope it can be resolved.

If any of the Devs want me to video the issue I'm having as well (or want the links to the objects I'm using), please feel free to ask.

Are others outside of my group and myself not experiencing this problem? Is there a current work around perhaps? Even when I make the objects bigger using the + key, objects are still clipping through. I feel like I'm sorta alone on this because otherwise it would be getting more attention. I would love to hear from anyone that can help me out because it is destroying many games for us!

Cards + physics have always been tricky due to the thickness of them, so we recommend people don't make any objects that are razor thing or they won't work right. That being said, it's something we're continually dealing with and will take some time to get right with the cards in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimiko View Post
    Cards + physics have always been tricky due to the thickness of them, so we recommend people don't make any objects that are razor thing or they won't work right.
    Is there a minimum thickness you would recommend? I'm currently using 1/16 inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimiko View Post
    That being said, it's something we're continually dealing with and will take some time to get right with the cards in game.
    I'm assuming you are taking about the card issue LunacyStudy mentioned on this -- I don't think I've had card clipping before, only object files.