PDA

View Full Version : Official Custom Model Import Limits?

Eugee
08-23-2015, 11:28 AM
I normally have pretty small models when making custom tokens and stuff, but recently I started making my own mod for Alpha Strike, including some 3D hex-boards to play on. Everything was going great till I got to the last board, which was a heavy forest. I used two quads perpendicular to each other with a tree texture on them for trees (so only 2 polys) but there were a LOT of trees. After saving the OBJ, I think it had 13K faces on it. When I tried to import it to TTS it kept rejecting it. I was under the impression that you could have up to 30K faces so this was a shock.

I ended up redoing the entire map using quads only (triangulating it skyrocketed the polys) and after a few tries managed to get my geometry clean enough to use a quad-only map, with ~8K faces. It loads fine now.

Now I'm trying to import a bunch of custom 3D mech-models that look amazing, but average about 20-30K faces. Before I tear all my hair out trying to decimate the polycounts without turning the model into a shit-show, can someone tell me the OFFICIAL importing limits? How many verts, edges, and faces can we have in our OBJ file? Is it just a filesize limit?

http://puu.sh/jLHme/811605c11d.jpg
This beautiful robot here has 14K verts and 24K faces (all tris), and the OBJ is 2.5 MB. I know it won't load--but I need to know the limit of what can import so I know how badly I have to deform this thing. :)

(I didn't make the model, I extracted it from MWO.)

hooliganj
08-23-2015, 12:38 PM
No-one has posted the limits, but the oft-cited recommendation is to keep custom models to 5k polys or less.

Eugee
08-28-2015, 09:26 AM
No-one has posted the limits, but the oft-cited recommendation is to keep custom models to 5k polys or less.

After a lot of trial and error I'd say the limit is keeping the OBJ file under 2 MB. It just so happens that's around 10K faces If I keep my final model to 9K faces or less, it loads. But I've succeded with 9.5K with no edge hardening, or 9K with edge hardening, so the common factor is the moment I break 2 MB it stops loading.

I'm not recommending having a table pull of 2 MB objects, but that's going to be your limit for custom-built boards and such.

maleister
08-28-2015, 05:14 PM
Do you think at the largest size that I could have 8 top quality miniatures without too many issues?

Eugee
08-28-2015, 06:33 PM
It would take awhile to load your mod, but yeah I think it would be fine. For example:
http://puu.sh/jR7K1/8f6692aef3.jpg

Each of those boards has 2-3K faces and there's 24 of them. The 77 miniatures (on the back edge) have 2-3K faces each as well. They take awhile to load the first time, but after that, I just load the pieces I want to an empty table for playing.

http://puu.sh/jLZ0A/b31e54de8d.jpg

The texture is screwed up on this one (still learning about baking textures in Blender) but that's about 7K faces, and I had to Decimate it so I screwed the geometry up a bit. I could make it cleaner now, but I was pretty happy with it.

maleister
08-29-2015, 06:03 AM
I'm new to all this as well. I just started two days ago.
I made some characters using DAZ Studio but they are huge, 150,000, to 300,000 polys.
I just can't seem to get them down to a workable size using the decimator.154

Eugee
08-29-2015, 06:46 PM
http://puu.sh/jSOEX/6e1d6e5d12.jpg

This started as an export from Mechwarrior Online (they allow people to use their models for non-commercial things), which I first joined into one object (it was about 30 of them) and removed double vertices. Then I changed from triangles to quads @ 180/180 (max), and finally applied a Decimate modifier @ 40% iirc, getting it down to under 6K faces. Baking the texture was a real pain in the ass, but I finally got it--for most of my mech models I just use a simple color texture and no designs. This was just an exercise in what was possible.

Anyway, that's 6K faces. I couldn't get this to load @ 9.6K faces, which was 1.7 MB. It might be 1.5 MB is the limit, now that I'm looking at my model library... nothing is bigger than 1.5 MB, and most of my OBJs (even the really complex ones) are under 5K.

maleister
08-29-2015, 11:27 PM
I'm doing my best to understand what you are talking about.
I've been using 3d software for a total of 3 or 4 days now so it's a little above me right now.
I hopefully I can start figuring out what needs to be done from your advice.

thank you. I need all the help I can get.

Eugee
08-31-2015, 06:50 AM
Any mesh you create will be made up of points/vertices, edges (2 connected vertices), and faces/polygons (3-4 connected vertices, making triangles or rectangles). Any polygon with more than 4 edges is called an n-gon, and won't draw textures correctly. Most models strive to be made of all quads, because they animate better and can be altered by other artists easier. "Triangulating" a mesh is when you convert all the quads to tris, and is an easy way to ensure a model works in TTS, but also shoots your poly count up.

TTS can handle and OBJ that's around 1.5 MB in size, max--from my experience. This is around 8K polygons/faces worth of model. If you mark certain edges as "hard" edges, it increases the OBJ size (as it has to define those edges twice), reducing your max poly count.

I was you about 2-3 months ago, just hang in there it gets easier. If you're using Blender, watch the tutorial series by BornCG on YouTube--it's a great series. I learned Wings3D first but there's not a ton of great tutorials for that so it was a very painful learning process. However I model much faster with it now.

Lucky seven
09-04-2015, 10:53 PM
Hey Maleister, with low poly work try and avoid creating smooth complex curves on your models as there murder on your overall Tris count. There a prime candidate for blowing you budget if your trying to stick to a maximum amount of faces. So use spheres and cylinders sparingly if you can and if you do use them try and construct them out of as few faces as possible. If by the end you think your models become too blocky remember Table top simulator supports Normal maps which you can use to effectively fake the appearance of more detail on your models....which is handy :D

sneo
10-17-2015, 10:20 AM

eugee, you sir, am my inspiration to trying out BattleTech models in TTS. I adjusted Kilroy's models instead, keeping at 12.5k faces (triangulated) with a bland neutral gray texture which yielded an average file size of 800kb when exporting to OBJ with just UV map. I found exporting with Normals in Blender seem to inflated the file size significantly.