Thread: Stacking of different custom tiles, or add thickness to cards

Stacking of different custom tiles, or add thickness to cards

Hi,

it would be very nice if different custom tiles that are set to "stacking" could actually stack with each other, and not only if they are absolutely the same.
    It's required for many (mostly hex-based) war games, e.g. in Advanced Squad Leader.

The solution that a few people came up with was to create decks made of small square cards, but you don't really see the size of the stack with the thin cards - being able to visually see the difference between a 2 and 5 tile (card) stack is quite important in those games.

Ideally, tile stacks would also support the "search" and "group" functions, that work nice with cards, so you don't have to manually fiddle around with the physics and taking stacks apart and putting together again.

As alternative, I guess it would work too if you could specify a thickness for cards.

Or did I miss a function in the game that already makes this possible?

Thanks!

Furthermore, currently when you try to stack tiles on top of each other (with default setting/thickness), they often clip into each other, so maybe a proper stacking feature (that aligns all the tiles in one place) could also solve this problem

*bump*

Just had another look after 8 months, still can't figure out how to play any tile-based wargame (example mod: "Conflict of Heroes"). It's a pain to handle a stack of multiple tiles without having any stack functionality at all.

Or is it simply not possible at all?

Ya i would also love a search stack option so say if you were building a deck u could search for the card title you want.

I agree. As it stands the Tabletop Simulator is seriously handicapped for wargamers. Being able to create sets of double sided counters that can be stacked on top of one another in any order would allow TTS to cover thousands of additional games such as Advanced Squad Leader, The Russian Front, SPQR, The Civil war, Flat Top, 1776 and so on. In fact, if (or hopefully when) this feature is included I will buy SST immediately.

You can stack double sided tiles by just using the "sticky" option (on by default in the toggles) and not making the tiles stackable. And then whatever tile you pick up will pick up that one and any that is above it. It's not the most ideal solution, but I *think* this might help in the meantime for tiles that are double sided.

We plan on working on other improvements for specific genres in the future. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimiko View Post
    We plan on working on other improvements for specific genres in the future. Thanks.
    Since I am now, building a game that includes exploration, I am really searching for a solution with this issue. Kimiko, is there any progress with this?
    You say we should do it, right now using sticky option and not making tiles stackable. Is there a way I can shuffle the tiles, using this?

(my english suck I know, still I hope you can get what I mean)

How about making it so you can adjust the thickness of cards? I don't know how hard that would be, but it would solve the "seeing the size of a stack" issue, while retaining the ability to shuffle, combine, etc.

How about making it so you can adjust the thickness of cards? I don't know how hard that would be, but it would solve the "seeing the size of a stack" issue, while retaining the ability to shuffle, combine, etc
    That's probably not going to work, A deck isn't actually a stack of cards, its a special type of "Bag" made to look like a deck and the current thickness range of these bags only represents an approximation of the depth an equivalent stack of cards wold make.

So Cards cease to exist on the table the moment they're placed into a deck.

you could use the snap points to help you do this... if you lock an object down, like your tiles for example, then click on it with the snap point tool, the snap point will go to the center of the tile. Then when you unlock the tile, you can move it and the snap point will go with the tile, and the other tiles can "stack" on top of it by snapping to the point on the tile. It won't be stuck there, but with the Sticky option on like Kimiko mentioned, combined with the Snap point, it should make it easier, if you lift the stack by the bottom tile to lift everything on top of it.