Thread: Importing 2d images into Blender

Importing 2d images into Blender

I found a blender forum online and asked this question but my post isn't being posted, so I thought I'd ask here.

Does anyone know of a tutorial that would (if it's possible?) take the attached 2d image and make it 3d?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

How 3D do you want to make this image ?

Full on 3D model or a modelled 2 1/2D stand up with this image applied to it.

Both?

I'm assuming the difference is full on 3d is super challenging while 2&1/2 stand up isn't all that challenging?

To model wolverine as a recognisable full 3d model will be a challenge.

By 21/2D I mean effectively cut him out of that image and use his profile to create a standup and then apply the image to it so you would have a 3D model with a complicated outline shape but a uniform thickness front to back as you have no depth information to work with. This lack of depth can be mitigated a little by creating a normal map of your image with CrazyBump or similar. Then adding it to your model, It wont make it full on 3D but it will make it seem more 3D like than a basic 2D image.

What's the best way to cut him out of that image? I'm assuming something like Inkscape?

Thanks Lucky. Is there a tutorial anywhere showing how to do this? Never heard of CrazyBump, but then again, this is all new to me.

Don't even bother to cut him out

Import the whoe image into blender as a background image and then model to the shape.

see here for the basics on background images.

In "User Preferences", "Add Ons" you can activate "Import Images as Planes". This can be accessed from File -> Import. This will create a 2D rectangle with your image on it that you will be able to see if you set your Viewport Shading (box on bottom bar with circle in) to Texture. Set the camera to view it from above (the "7" key) and it will be fully visible. Knife Tool in Edit Mode will let you cut out the shape ("K", then click from an edge, then to each point, then to another edge, then Enter to finalise, toggle C if you want to constrain the cuts to 45 degree angles) - or if you want to get more precise learn how to use Curve objects to Knife Project into it. Then Solidify; set the dimensions of the object to what you want them to be; unwrap a UV, (for a cut-out like this I'd do a Project from View unwrap while still viewing directly from above - this will conveniently mean the far side is mirrored); you'll want to clear your texture out of the way in the UV editor so you can see what you're doing ("X" on the editor's bottom bar); and Triangulate Faces before you export. Put your image over it in an art program.

However, if you want a base for it integrated into the model itself, rather than Jointing it onto one in TTS, create a short cylinder, use "Join" with both objects selected to merge them into one mesh, then when you unwrap only have the cut-out faces selected when you do the Project from View, then select the faces of the base separately and unwrap them with the normal unwrap command, then position those new faces in the UV editor over to a corner somewhere if you to put a texture on it with the rest of the image.

So, he's taking the gun image and making a model of it in Blender?

From there he saves his work and that is the file you import into TTS?

Thanks Cluny & Lucky

At this point I think I need to just sit down and try all this out. I haven't downloaded Blender and haven't bought TTS (which I am this weekend)

Quote Originally Posted by acctingman View Post
    So, he's taking the gun image and making a model of it in Blender?

From there he saves his work and that is the file you import into TTS?
    Once you've made the model, you will need to export in from Blender in the right file format (.OBJ in this instance) but effectively you've got the idea of it

Ok, so I have the image loaded, followed the above video tutorial but I don't see that grey box where I can model over the image? How do I copy the image?

Does the image I'm copying need to be a certain file type? It's currently a jpeg

Thank you

After watching a few more youtube tutorials I've come to realize that trying to make a 2d image more 3d-ish is just way too hard for what I want to do.

For some reason I thought I could just import a 2d image into Blender and with just a few clicks of a button here and there I could make it more 3d like, but I can see that it's just not that simple

Lucky

I'm not quite sure I follow on how to make my 2d image 2&1/2 d-ish. I followed the tutorial you embedded in this thread, but I wasn't able to copy the image and from there I'm not sure what else to do to make it more 3D.

Sorry, but I'm so new to this and I don't quite follow.

Thanks

Recognise that you will have to commit some time to the hobby, with this particular task as your first end-goal to work towards.
    Patiently work your way through tutorials of a more basic nature, following along in Blender as you go. Pick up ideas gradually.

Here is video #1 of the series I started on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHdTUJBs7so. I did not watch the whole series - just a few videos here and there that seemed relevant to me at the time when I'd just got TTS and wanted to figure out how to make my own assets. It isn't a bad place to start.

Thanks Cluny. I'll start watching some of these videos. I'm not sure how much I want to invest in this. This is just for a game ill play casually by my self so I'm not sure how much time I want to spend on it when importing 2d images into TTS might be enough.