Thread: Scripting: Inconsistent treatment of end-of-line escapes

Scripting: Inconsistent treatment of end-of-line escapes

The treatment of end of line escape sequences, like backslash-n, is treated inconsistently within TTS. Putting backslash-n into a literal string in a script, with the script window open, has the desired effect of putting an end-of-line character in the outputted string, such as in the game notes (and probably in an object description as well, but I need to check). The same script, once saved and reloaded as part of a game, will sometimes contain actual end-of-line characters, breaking the script.

I haven't been able to replicate this. It definitely happened once, but will need to see if it happens under particular circumstances.

It's happened a few more times now. Seems to relate to an unclosed string earlier in the script that is being loaded.

It has happened to me a few times as well, I don't know how to replicate it either.

I don't know which came first, but after I had this issue my script became corrupted and kept reporting missing closing quotes even after I fixed them. There was nothing missing when I pasted it into an external editor, and I couldn't clean it up by pasting the offending bit into notepad and then repasting. At one stage the bug report said it was near a GUID I had deleted from the code, as if the in-game compiler was stuck on an old version of the script. Eventually I had to remove a section of code, save the game with a new name and retype. Along the way I removed the backslash-n's , because I got sick of converting them back from real end-of-line characters to backslash-ns, but I don't know if that helped.