Thread: Deck manipulation

Deck manipulation

Currently, we can click on a deck of cards and draw 1 card or cut a deck in half or shuffle. We cannot simply draw X amount of cards or pick up X amount of cards from top of a deck. This feature would be useful because for many card games. In Yugioh, we have a main deck, side deck, and an extra deck. All of this is in one 70-card sprite sheet. A person has to sort and separate this 1 large 70 card pile into these three things. I don't want to create 3 sprite sheets since that takes more memory.

I've prearranged my sprite file such that cards numbered 1-40 are in my main deck, 41-55 are extra, 56-70 are side. So if I have a function that allows me to pick the top 15 cards of my deck and place them in my side deck zone, it would be very useful rather than me picking 1 card at a time.

The same goes for searching a card from the deck and adding it to your hand or field.

Some of what your after we can already do.

If you want 40 cards from the top of your deck hold your mouse over it and type 40. and it will move 40 cards to your hand simple as that.

Also whilst it might seem sensible to cram all your cards onto a 7X10 your paying a severe price in image quality when the amount of memory you'd spend spreading them out over say...... four 6x4 sheets at a higher resolution really isn't going to be noticeably taxing. in TTS.

When you say
    The same goes for searching a card from the deck and adding it to your hand or field.
    do you mean selecting multiple cards at once from the search window ?

As I do think that would be a useful addition to see implemented at some point,
    Last edited by Lucky seven; 07-26-2016 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky seven View Post
    Some of what your after we can already do.

If you want 40 cards from the top of your deck hold your mouse over it and type 40. and it will move 40 cards to your hand simple as that.

Also whilst it might seem sensible to cram all your cards onto a 7X10 your paying a severe price in image quality when the amount of memory you'd spend spreading them out over say...... four 6x4 sheets at a higher resolution really isn't going to be noticeably taxing. in TTS.

When you say

do you mean selecting multiple cards at once from the search window ?

As I do think that would be a useful addition to see implemented at some point,
    I didn't expect a reply so quickly from a developer! TTS has my respect for support. That's great. I didn't know about the click and hold function before, but just to be clear - I want the ability to move the top X cards from the deck to another place on the field not my hand. It's similar to a cut, but it's not 50/50. Simple things such as pick up the top or bottom 15 cards of the deck (by click and hold) and then place them on the field. As for searching, yes it can be 1 card or multiple from your main deck and add to your hand, then shuffle the deck. I would even like a function that flips the deck upside down or reverses the order of cards (moves the bottom card to the top and vice versa).

Also, thanks for pointing that out! Someone told me that I had to compromise on resolution because the memory would be too taxing, but now I feel reassured that you are telling me that it's ok to use more than 1 sheet. In Yugioh, we have a 15-card side deck, 15-card extra deck, and a 40-60 card main deck. That gives a deck of 70-90 cards in a possible sprite sheet. I have card images in 813x1185 original resolution. So I can use 4 4x6 sheets as you said or 2 5x7 sheets or 1 7x10. What do you recommend?
    Last edited by AntiMetaman; 07-26-2016 at 09:28 PM.

4 6x4 sheets would most likely be the optimal choice.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaven81 View Post
    4 6x4 sheets would most likely be the optimal choice.
    Since my cards are at 813x1185, you mean 4x6 and not 6x4 I assume? Since the height is greater than the width?

hey AntiMetaman

Just so you know, round here Green is for Moderator and Red is for Developer, So whilst I have done a fair bit of work for Berserk. On this forum I'm just the monkey rather than the organ grinder

As to your cards with the size and ratio you've got to work with. ( 813x1185 ) and the relative sizes of the decks you'll be making.

Personally I'd be looking towards either:

a 5 across by 4 down arrangement to maximize your image quality.

working to the goal of keeping the maximum sheet size at or below 4096x4096.

and reduce the base images down modestly to 703x1024 and aim to use every slot on the sheet even if it means mixing decks together a little to do so.

or:

a 6 across by 4 down arrangement to increase the number of cards per sheet at a slightly greater cost to image quality.

again working on the goal of keeping the maximum sheet size at or below 4096x4096.

But this time reduce the base images down to a smaller 682x994 and again aim to use every slot on the sheet.

Now which of these to choose (or any other layout you might wish to try) will depend on where you want to strike the balance between image quality and overall finished mod size.
    I'd personally be looking to make a trial deck of each and do a side by side comparison on the tabletop to gauge which is best for the mod at hand.
    Last edited by Lucky seven; 07-27-2016 at 04:21 PM.

I don't have VR, but a question just struck me... does lower quality graphics look even worse in a VR session? I would think that it should, but that's just a gut feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by dizneyguy View Post
    I don't have VR, but a question just struck me... does lower quality graphics look even worse in a VR session? I would think that it should, but that's just a gut feeling.
    All graphics settings except SSAO should be working in VR currently.

Oh... umm no, I meant the quality of the JPG deck image like what AntiMM and Lucky7 are discussing.

Since my originals are 813x1185, it width is smaller than the height. So why do we say 6x4 and not 4x6? The number of cards is the same on the sheet but the height should be greater than the width.

Also, I guess this thread suddenly became about resolution rather than deck manipulation. Any actions such as adding card from the top to the bottom or sending a card from the field to the bottom/top or removing X amount of cards from top/bottom should be available. Also searching one or multiple cards from a deck and adding it/them to your hand.

So why do we say 6x4 and not 4x6? The number of cards is the same on the sheet but the height should be greater than the width.
    Well I cant speak for anyone else but where I'm from naming convention would tend you to read off Width then Height when describing surface area. hence when I read 6 x 4 that to me naturally reads as 6 across by 4 down and as were working within the bounds of a"Maximum" Square sheet size. your going to fit more cards across than you are down in that orientation than you would the other way round.

So 6 across by 4 down seems a fairly sensible ratio to maximise the space available per card sheet.

But its entirely optional how you utilise the maximum space available. You don't have to make you card images in this format if you don't want.

Rule of thumb though try not to make Card images that are full of empty slots as you'll still have to Render them even if you never see them as the whole sheet is loaded up not just the cards you can see.
    Last edited by Lucky seven; 07-29-2016 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky seven View Post
    Rule of thumb though try not to make Card images that are full of empty slots as you'll still have to Render them even if you never see them as the whole sheet is loaded up not just the cards you can see.
    It's too bad though that the included deck maker only supports 7x10.

It's too bad though that the included deck maker only supports 7x10.

I may be preaching to the choir here

But you do know about this one don't you ?

http://www.berserk-games.com/forums/...TS-Deck-Editor

its not included with the game but its readily accessible for anyone who might need it.

Oh I didn't know about that... thanks