Thread: Do Trail Renderers work in Tabletop Simulator?

Question Do Trail Renderers work in Tabletop Simulator?

I am new when it comes to making assetbundles, so I am not sure what is happening, but in Unity, when I give a GameObject a Trail Renderer component, and build the assetbundle and put it into Tabletop Simulator, it works when I load the assetbundle locally. But if I try to upload it to the Steam Cloud or Dropbox I always get 'Error importing AssetBundle: Object reference not set to an instance of an object'. What is happening?

TrailRenderer.jpg

Hey TSSans, Welcome to the community.

Two assetbundles cannot exist at the same time with the same name. Try deleting the local reference.

I'll try it. I uploaded it to the Steam Cloud, then deleted the local .unity3d file, it is still not working. :\
    Last edited by TSSans; 01-18-2017 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Sounded kind of rude

Hmm...Can you share the file ?

Its Seams to work just fine.

The steam link and Dropbox link gives me the default Zombie with a rather fetching Red Trail when you move him around

Are you sure you've only got one instance of this assetbundle active ?

did you clear the Mod Cache ?

are you trying to use the Dropbox link and the steamlink at the same time ? as that also counts as two instances.
    Last edited by Lucky seven; 01-18-2017 at 09:27 AM.

It works for you? Then idk what the problem is. What exactly do you mean when you say 'one instance of this assetbundle active'?. What I do is build the assetbundles, go into Tabletop Simulator, Objects>Chest>Custom>AssetBundle, then in the primary assetbundle part I put in the local .unity3d file to see if it works, then I right click on the custom assetbundle I just imported, and select the same file to use, but this time when it asks me if I want Local or Cloud, I select cloud. It then uploads it to the cloud and automatically puts that link in, I click the Import button at the bottom and wait for it to load. Once it does, it just falls through the table over and over and gives me the error 'importing AssetBundle: Object reference not set to an instance of an object'

This works perfectly if I am using just an assetbundle with no Trail Renderer, but if the assetbundle has a trail renderer, it only works from the local file.

When you say if i'm trying to use both links at the same time, do you mean for the same object at the same time or on two separate objects? Either way, the answer is no

Idk what the Mod Cache is, but I don't think it would make a difference, like I said before, this only occurs when the assetbundle has a trail renderer, without it, I can upload it to Dropbox and Steam Cloud and it works perfectly

then in the primary assetbundle part I put in the local .unity3d file to see if it works, then I right click on the custom assetbundle I just imported, and select the same file to use, but this time when it asks me if I want Local or Cloud, I select cloud. It then uploads it to the cloud and automatically puts that link in, I click the Import button at the bottom and wait for it to load. Once it does, it just falls through the table over and over and gives me the error 'importing AssetBundle: Object reference not set to an instance of an object'
    At this point the local Instance will still be in memory as your trying to overwrite it with the same Assetbundle but from a different location.

Try spawning it onto a new empty table rather than editing the Assetbundle line on an existing object just to confirm it works the way it should.

So Start as you did before

Objects>Chest>Custom>AssetBundle then paste the steam or Dropbox link straight into the primary slot. and it should work fine.

Also if you go into the main configuration menu look for Mod cache and uncheck it to stop TTS from using it, (handy when you keep updating objects without changing their names)

That works, finally. Thanks

Are there any components that don't work in Tabletop?

Probably. . . I've not tried everything that Unity has to offer as of yet. . . But I'd almost guarantee there will be some aspects that are incompatible with this incarnation of TTS.

. . .can't think of anything specific of the top of my head though.

One thing I will point out is if you Stray away from the Standard Shader and start creating your own custom ones. they won't work on cross platform devices.

Basically if you make custom assetbundle on Windows it compiles the shader code into the assetbundle for directX so it won't work with Linux or Mac

I have been through the document, and found really helpful.