Thread: Multi-Player verses Single-Player Games Saves

Multi-Player verses Single-Player Games Saves

I've been working on a two player game and have been testing out the game saves. I tied the players steam IDs to the player side they started the game so when a save game file is loaded they can only be the side they originally began. I tested reloading saves and seems to work pretty well. I then decided to open the save file in the single player mode with one side, played around with it saved it. Then I opened it in multi-player mode again and when the second player tried to connect to the host, that player could not connect anymore. Is this expected behavior? That a multi-player save becomes an invalid multi-player save if it's opened in Single-Player mode? Thanks for any insight on this issue.

To my understanding, there is no difference between multiplayer saves and single player saves by default. I'm not sure what you did to "tie the players steam IDs to the player side" though

Well, what I mean by "tie the players steam IDs to the player side", is just storing the ID in a table. Then when you load up the saved game, check the current Players ID against what's stored in the saved table, and if they don't match, change the color of the Player to "Grey". This shouldn't effect the ability to connect to a host server. Player A (Host) started a multi-player game. Player B joined that game. Player B saved the game. Both Players disconnected. Player B loaded the save up in a single player game. Player B saved the game. Player B (Host) loaded the game up in a multi-player game. Player A tried to connect to the Multi-player game and was denied access (it just said "Connection Failed"). Tried 3 times to connect - all failed. Exited the game and tried again with Player B (Host) loading up for multi-player game. Again Player A could not connect. Started a new multi-player game (not loading the save), both players easily connected. Not sure what happened with that Save Game file, but it would no longer work in multi-player.

Have you looked in the offending .Json file to see if the Steam id's have been stored correctly ?

OK, I retried different save possibilities opening as single-player and multi-player and everything seems to work fine now. I don't know what happened that first time - got corrupted somehow - have not been able to replicate it since. As mentioned by MrStump above, there appears to be no difference between multiplayer saves and single player saves. All is well now - thanks for the input.